This edition sees me attaching the inlets and filling and sanding and filling and sanding and ... you get the idea.
This photo is of the jig I made to ensure the inlets were parallel to the prop flange which is parallel to the firewall. It also aligns them equidistant from the centre line and aligned vertically. Don't worry about it looking off in this photo, I hadn't done the final align yet.
Perfect opportunity to practice mixing flox. If you haven't done it before this is roughly the consistency you are looking for.
A little flox applied to the inlets to bond them in place. Note the size of the original inlet, 5" each. Enough to cool a big six not my small 4.
Bond completed, just let it go off then we can start filling.
The first of many applications of filler. This one is epoxy and micro, I found it to be the easiest by far to work. It doesn't go off too quick (especially in our Aussie heat) and it doesn't set to a concrete-like consistency. I tried other fillers, poly resins and even auto body filler and came back ti the micro. In later photos you may see the different colours as I experimented. That's why they call these things 'Experimentals'.
First layer roughly smoothed back. This is really starting to take on a pleasing shape. After a while you learn to 'read' the contours of the filler with your hands. Sometimes closing my eyes helps to concentrate and feel the subtle changes in profile. matching one side to the other will be a challenge.
This is the method I employed to check the curve from firewall to spinner. I will reattach the plug to the airframe soon to finish the final shaping.